Thursday, November 4, 2010

21st Century Skills Section 1

I am sooo sorry it has taken me so long to post this. I have had so many problems just getting into the different sites AND my internet isn't working properly.
SO here goes.
Well , I enjoyed reading the first chapter-felt it was interesting and eye opening. I am sure I could find some of the statistics online somewhere-but haven't. They way society is going with technology-is eye opening to me-If everything and everyone becomes so HIGH TECH what will happen to the 'normal jobs' that have to have manual labor? This worries me as we can't all be working with technology. The study explaing how our students graduating from secondary schools lack in a variety of areas causes concern from me also. Communication Skills and Work ethics are so important...we are spending billions of dollars on those issues -why because somewhere down the road they are missing out on those skills.

To Quote: The 21st century challenges each of us to build and maintain our own identity from our given tradions and form the wide variety of traditions all around us. At the same time we must all learn to apply tolerance and compassion for the different identities and values of others." This is very true-because the future holds many surprises for all to learn , accept and grow with.

2 comments:

  1. Section 1 was very eye opening to me as well, especially as the first paragraph opened up with explaining how we are to prepare students for jobs that don't exsist yet - how scary is that?! No pressure! But it gets better as you read on and get an idea of the skills that we can teach to prepare them for such a world.

    I really liked learning about the chinese word(s) for "crisis" meaning "danger and opportunity." I think this is great way to look at things, especially new things. I am a big believer in being positive, so this perspective helped easy the overwhelming thoughts of so much technology!

    I am excited to read and learn more about the "21st Century Challenge" and agree with our Section 1 Summary Post in that I hope with the new Knowledge Age comes understanding of others' traditions and uniqueness that is different from our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you because when I read I was reminded of all the skills that teachers have. I agree that in the olden days (agrarian age) traditions were the most important things that were taught. In the Industrial age teaching job skills became the focus and in the Knowledge age we have been pushing a lot of content into the student’s brains. We teach them if you want to keep up you need to excel at everything. They must think and act globally. As teachers we have to teach in the middle of our students, and at the same time figure out where and how to take the advanced students to their potential.
    In the 21st century skills we have to be creative and teach creativity to our students. We have to figure out how to teach students to excel with and without technology. If we don’t teach values how do the students learn to appropriately use technology on their own?

    ReplyDelete